Mersey Marauders - 2 November 2014 (Away)

The boot was very much on the other foot for Terriers in this game compared to our last GFSN outing, as it was us who were undone by a sucker punch in the final seconds to deny victory.

The game started in a relatively cagey fashion as both teams got to grips with each other's styles of play, probing for anything that could be exploited. Mersey had a couple of good opportunities during this period, but they didn't make them count and they were soon left ruing the missed chances.

To begin with, some neat link-up play through the middle between Josh S and Haff led to the latter curling home a beautiful left-footed effort from around the edge of the box, and we doubled our advantage soon afterwards, when the ball broke to James C in the D to slot the ball home.

Mersey got one back soon after when the ball wasn't cleared from a corner and the ball was rifled in from a narrow angle and they very nearly equalised later on in the first half when a clumsy challenge in the area resulted in a penalty. However, the resulting shot was poor and easy for Liam A to stop and keep hold of.

The young keeper looked assured and continued to have a big impact on proceedings as a frenetic first period continued. Mersey looked like equalising again but for a spectacular double save from Liam, which broke to Haff on the edge of the area. He rode numerous challenges to help the ball out wide left to James C, whose effort from out wide flew over the home goalie to give us a 3-1 half-time advantage.

Alas, that was as good as it got - the second 45 started frustratingly for both teams as we weren't able to net again and Mersey were unable to get back into the game, with their strikers being called offside on numerous occasions to break up their attacks.

However, a goal kick fell to a Mersey player who was allowed to run at our defence and slot home their second - then it was a case of hanging on to what we had. It looked like we'd defended well enough to take home all three points, but we lost the ball in the attacking third and a quick break did to us what we'd done to Nottingham.

The final whistle blew seconds after we kicked off and the players trudged off feeling defeated, although the reality is we're only the second team to ever come away with anything from a match on Merseyside.

Man of the match was a tight call between Liam and James, but the nod went to the former for numerous great saves to help give us a solid foundation to build upon.

Credit to Jim H for today's match report.